You have either heard what padcicles are from a friend (or from google!), or you’re sitting there saying to yourself ‘what the heck is a padsicle!?’
Essentially, padcicles are full of healing ingredients that are frozen to help reduce swelling and increase healing after you give birth to your baby. Even with a straight forward vaginal birth, there is going to be some swelling happening down there. And for ANY kind of birth you will have postpartum bleeding (lochia) as your uterus sheds afterbirth and is healing from the placenta wound.
Recipe for DIY Padsicles
What you will need:
- Overnight sized pads – NO MESH = no always ‘dri weave’, stitches can get caught in this type, and nobody wants that!
- Aloe Vera Gel – 100% natutal, no colours added, no extra ingedients
- Witch Hazel – 100% pure witch hazel, no added alcohol!
- Lavender essential oil – if desired, promotes healing
You can also sub herbal sitz bath instead of using the witch hazel. I love to get mine from a Kitchener Waterloo local maker and fellow doula Mama B’s Potions and Notions. You can also get a more commercial Sitz Bath from Well.ca
- Open up pads (if they have wings save the paper to put them back together after and don’t take them off the wrapper) Evenly sprinkle a few teaspoons of the witch hazel or herbal sitz bath on the pads.
- Evenly spread a heaping tablespoon of the aloe gel with a spoon.
- Drip 1-3 drops of lavender essential oil and spread with spoon on aloe gel.
- Refold the pads and place in a freezer ziplock and freeze! Bring to the hopital with you (they usually have a frezer available) or have at home in your freezer.
- Usually making 10 pads is enough at first. You can make more as needed.
Your bits will say THANKS!
Let me know if you make this recipe, love hearing your stories!